Virtual Earth Day
“Bring Your Own Bag” Ordinance Update
Sustainable Highland Park, a borough commission, was awarded a $10,000 grant to launch a campaign aimed at reducing single use plastic bags in our town. The grant allowed SHP to launch an education, outreach and advocacy campaign to businesses, consumers, students and the faith community over the next year. Learn more about the campaign here.
The Recycle Coach app Highland Park is available from the App Store and Google Play! This app connects residents to the Department of Public Works for recycling and garbage pick-up schedule and information. Very useful information!
Everyone’s Farm will provide a hub in which to gather, share, and engage in ongoing learning and discussion about growing our own food, while providing each other with knowledge, skills, and support as we learn how to garden anywhere. Everyone’s Farm will provide outreach education to our whole community right in the very spaces in which we all live, helping everyone learn how we can grow our own nourishment everywhere through cooperation, innovation, and regeneration. Together.
Everyone’s Farm Goals:
1. Teach residents basic gardening skills
2. Encourage self-reliance
3. Improve residents’ health
4. Encourage water conservation, waste reduction and recycling
5. Create social activities for seniors
6. Empower youth
7. Beautify yards and Borough site grounds
8. Increase site and overall property values
9. Build community through shared experiences reconnecting with nature
10. Foster a connection between healthy food choices and wellness, gardening as an exercise activity, and the positive effects of supporting locally grown food on the environment, individual and global health, and the community
Everyone’s Farm Action Steps:
a. Identify community partners
b. Schedule meetings to plan activities and design garden spaces
c. Select appropriate locations
d. Hold regular garden gatherings
e. Document and publicize progress and successes